We know this has taken a while, but today it’s possible to install Kodi on tvOS. Kodi for Apple TV 4 is currently in the pre-alpha stages so this tutorial is very early, but it actually does work.
Let’s face it, just the fact that we can get Kodi on Apple TV 4 without jailbreaking is a huge win in itself. We’re going to show you in this tutorial how to install Kodi on the new Apple TVs that are running tvOS.
Note: If, at this point, you don’t have a free Apple developer account, then use Apple’s guide to learn how to get one. It just takes a couple of minutes. To complete this tutorial you’ll also need a USB Type-C cable.
How to Install Kodi on Apple TV 4 tvOS
- Download both the latest nightly Kodi.deb file and the iOS App Signer: save these to the desktop, then unzip the iOS App Signer. Ensure you have installed Xcode 7;
- Using a USB Type-C cable, connect your Apple TV 4 to your Mac;
- Now launch Xcode, then click on Create a New Xcode Project. Under tvOS, select Application, then Single View Application, then click Next;
- For YourNameHere, insert a unique name like CodyAppleTV in the Product Name field, then click Next – Create;
- Select your personal team under the Team drop-down box, and to resolve provisioning issues click the Fix Issue button. Make sure that you’re signed into Xcode with your free Apple developer account;
- At the top of the screen, ensure that your Apple TV is selected in the destination menu. You could also click Product – Destination, then select Apple TV;
- Open the iOS App Signer after minimizing Xcode;
- On the iOS App Signer, click Browse, then from the desktop select the Kodi.deb nightly file;
- In the iOS App Signers Signing Certificate box, select your Apple ID;
- Now, in the iOS App Signer’s Provisioning Profile box, select the Project name/bundle identifier that you just created in Xcode;
- In the bottom right-hand corner of the iOS app signer, click Start. The .IPA file for Kodi will be built and saved to your desktop;
- Now open Xcode, then Window, Devices; then select the Apple TV;
- From the desktop click on the ‘+‘ sign and select the .IPA file, then click Open. You will now have deployed Kodi your Apple TV 4;
- And that’s all! You should be able to see the Kodi app on the Home screen of your Apple TV 4.
So that was pretty straightforward. Now you’re free to enjoy a rather premature version of Kodi on your new Apple TV 4.